Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pip!!

A day or two after my last post, I could tell the BCM egg had died, so I took it out. Because I am terminally curious, I sealed it in a ziploc bag and opened it. It looked about 7-8 days along.

I candled occasionally, and still felt like the remaining BCM eggs were a bit less developed than the four ameraucana eggs.

I was a nervous wreck, but I got the eggs back to the preschool on Monday, which was day 20. I transported them while still in the incubator, but I stuck a washcloth in there to keep them from rolling around.

I went back later in the day Monday to check on them, but no change.



I went in at 9am on Tuesday to check, and discovered I had two pips!

I was really surprised that one of the pips was a BCM egg. I was just SURE that they would be the last to pip and hatch.

I went back at the end of the school day, 3pm to check again. No real progress on the two eggs pictures, but the other BCM egg had pipped, and its' hole was actually bigger than the other two.  I thought that two more eggs looked just about ready to officially pip- I thought I could see a ripple in the egg, but it was just a tiny bit too soon to tell.




It nearly killed me, but I left the school gracefully.  I'm dying to go back and see what's happened.

I get to leave in about an hour to go check on them. I bet I have at least 2-3 chicks when I get there. I can't wait!!


As I was typing this, I got a phone call from one of the preschool teachers. She got to work early this morning, and told me I have THREE chicks waiting for me.  Wahoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment