Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Update

With the preschool batch of chicks, I will admit I was a little concerned about Squint, the last chick to hatch. He seemed much smaller than the others, and kept his eyes squinted shut a bit.

But, over the weekend, he perked up a bit, and seems totally normal and healthy now, albeit a bit smaller.

I'd taken the chicks home over the weekend, and the children (and teachers) were hoping I'd bring them back. So, I brought them back yesterday, much to the delight of the kids.

I tried feather sexing this batch of chicks. My gender predictions is that I have one pullet/one cockerel of the BCM, 1 pullet and 2 cockerels of the lav mixes. I really want the bcm/lav mix that came from a green egg to be a pullet. I thought I saw two rows of feathers, but it could've been desire. I feel really good about my BCM predictions, but not so good about the lavs.


This morning, I went to the elementary school because my daughter left her lunch home. Her classmates immediately jumped on me, asking more questions about eggs, hatching, and chickens. I even got three hugs. Awww!

I'm thinking if I have time, I'll try to candle the eggs after school on Thursday. Time is an iffy thing this week though, so it may have to go back to Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment