Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Famous Last Words

DH's McGyver move on the incubator has worked beautifully. In fact, I think it's actually much better than the original heating element. The temperature has been much, much steadier, which makes me very happy. It won't work once chicks hatch, but I figure we have a couple weeks before we have to worry about that.

You'd think I'd learn by now to NOT say, "I won't candle until XXX". I've never stuck to that. Ever. Ever ever. I totally lack any kind of self control. It makes it worse that I've had these issues with the Brower incubator- it makes me more anxious to candle those eggs to see if they have a prayer of surviving. The seven eggs in my brinsea haven't been as big of a temptation.

So, this evening I candled. I am pretty sure I saw veining in egg #7, which is in the Brower.  Neighbor egg that was dropped seems like it's developed a little more, but frankly, I don't hold out much hope for it. It's such a shame, because I saw definite veining in it yesterday, and it seems to be the only fertile egg my neighbor gave me. Her other two eggs don't seem to have anything in them, but we're only day 3 or 4. I'm a little confused on that. How about, it's been about 90 hours since the neighbor eggs have been in? It's winter, and her rooster is only about 5 weeks out from a fairly severe injury, and he's blind in one eye as a result of the injury. It wouldn't surprise me if his fertility is gone.

On a more stalkerish note, I hatched some eggs in August from my flock. I gave the four chicks to my brother in law and sister in law. They can't have roosters, so when two of the chicks turned out to be roosters, they rehomed them. They're pretty sure the prettier rooster is just down the road from me, with a family that sells eggs out of their house. I've been contemplating buying eggs from them, and I'm seriously considering buying some, and trying to find out if they do have my "grandchick".

No comments:

Post a Comment