Sunday, January 8, 2012

FIVE have hatched!

After the first two hatched yesterday, I went to bed, figuring nothing would happen til morning. I woke up around 2:25am with a migraine. I decided to go check on the eggs, and found that the third chick was just about out. I watched it hatch, and I think it was the cutest yest- chipmunk stripes!

Between 10am and 10:15, we had two more hatch- another chipmunk and another mostly black.

The 6th egg is working, but is probably a few hours away.  Sadly, the 7th chick, egg #3 that gave me so much hope on Thursday, seems to be quiet. I removed the three fluffed up chicks from the incubator (in a steamy bathroom, so I didn't mess with the humidity for the others), and I picked up egg #3 to listen. All was quiet inside. That one was special to me, so I'm a little sad if it doesn't hatch.

On the other hand, having eggs shipped 2000 miles, in winter, during the busiest post office week of the year is quite a journey. Most of the chicks had weird air cells, so to get even 5 is amazing. I don't want to count chickens before they hatch, but I really think chick #6 (both in egg AND hatch number) is going to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment